Learn how to make this lovely ruffle embellishment for the skirt of your Pemberley Threads “Victoria” gowns! Designed to be used in conjunction with the pdf patterns available here for 16″ dolls and here for 18″ dolls.
Note: 18″ doll size measurements are in normal font, 16″ doll size measurements are in italics.
This ruffle tutorial is designed to be constructed before you begin assembling your dress. Make the ruffle, attach it to skirt piece, and proceed with the pattern instructions as usual from the beginning.
Inspiration fashion plates from the period:
What you will need:
- 2 (1 1/2) yds of 3/8″ wide ribbon (or 10 (8) pre-made small bows)
- 1 1/2 (1 1/8) yds of 1″ wide lace trim
- 1/4 yd of 54″ (45″) wide fabric
- Matching thread
- Cut out a 4.5″ x 54″ (4.25 x 40″) rectangle from the fabric.
2. Cut a 54″ (40″) long piece of the lace trim. With right sides together, sew the lace trim to one long edge of ruffle using a 1/4″ seam allowance.
3. Using a serger or zig-zag stitch, finish both long edges of ruffle piece.
4. Press the finished lace seam allowance towards ruffle piece.
5. Press down 1/2″ of top edge to the wrong side. Sew two rows of gathering stitches along the top edge (one slightly under 1/4″ from pressed edge, and the other slightly over 1/4″ from pressed edge).
6. Pull gathering stitches and fit ruffle to length of skirt piece (the wrong side of the ruffle should be facing the right side of the skirt piece). The bottom edge of the lace on the ruffle should be 1″ from the unfinished hemline of the skirt. Pin in place and sew ruffle to skirt between the two rows of gathering stitches, about 1/4″ from the pressed edge. Remove gathering threads. Brush over the ruffle lightly with an iron.
7. Cut the ribbon into 10 (8) equal pieces and make each piece into a bow. Space the bows evenly apart and hand sew into place along the ruffle’s top edge. (or use your pre-made bows!)
8. Now that the ruffle is attached to the skirt piece, you can begin the “Victoria” pattern and follow the instructions as they are written. When you get to step #19, make sure you catch the short end of each ruffle when you are finishing the skirt edges.